Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) is when Heartburn occurs more than twice a week over a period of time. When acid backs up from the stomach into the esophagus it erodes the lining causing problems.
Do you have heartburn and are not sure what to do?
- Avoid alcohol, coffee, spicy foods, etc
- Avoid overeating
- Eat small meals
- Lose weight, if overweight
- Wear loose-fitting clothes around the stomach area
- Remaining upright for 3 hours after meals, do go to bed
- Raising the head of the bed 6 to 8 inches by securing wood blocks under the bedposts
Treatments – these are the different kinds of treatments for heartburn. Each works by a different mechanism. Depending on your situation you would choose one over the other. You doctor can assist you with this decision.
- Tums, Alka-Seltzer, Maalox, Mylanta, Rolaids
2. Histamine (H2) blockers – blocks effects of histamine on parietal cells
3. Proton Pump Inhibitors (PPI’s) – block parietal cells from releasing hydrochloric acid, HCl